12 Myths Every Catholic Should Be Able To Answer
by Deal Hudson
Freedom of speech is a great thing. Unfortunately, it comes at an unavoidable price: When citizens are free to say what they want, they'll sometimes use that freedom to say some pretty silly things. And that's the case with the 12 claims we're about to cover. Some of them are made over and over, others are rare (though worth addressing).
Either way, while the proponents of these errors are free to promote them, we as Catholics have a duty to respond. Hopefully, this special CRISIS Magazine e-Report will help you do just that. Please feel free to forward this to your friends and family. These errors are widespread, and it's our responsibility to correct them.
- "There's no such thing as absolute truth. What's true for you may not be true for me."
- "Christianity is no better than any other faith. All religions lead to God."
- "The Old and New Testaments contradict one another in numerous places. If an omnipotent God inspired the Bible, He would never have allowed these errors."
- "I don't need to go to Church. As long as I'm a good person, that's all that really matters."
- "You don't need to confess your sins to a priest. You can go straight to God."
- "If the Church truly followed Jesus, they'd sell their lavish art, property, and architecture, and give the money to the poor."
- "Dissent is actually a positive thing, since we should all keep our minds open to new ideas."
- "Properly interpreted, the Bible does not condemn homosexuality. Rather, it weighs against promiscuity -- whether homosexual or heterosexual. Therefore, we have no reason to oppose loving homosexual relationships."
- "Catholics should follow their conscience in all things...whether it's abortion, birth control, or women's ordination."
- "Natural Family Planning is just the Catholic version of birth control."
- "Someone can be pro-choice and Catholic at the same time."
- "People's memories of their past lives prove that reincarnation is true...and that the Christian view of Heaven and Hell is not."
E-mail this article to a friend
"12 Claims Every Catholic Should Be Able to Answer." Crisis e-letter (June, 2003). Copyright © 2003-2004 Deal Hudson. All rights reserved.