The 3rd Commandment:
"Remember that you keep holy the Sabbath Day." (Ex 20:8)
- Have I missed Mass through my own fault, on Sundays or on Holy Days?
- Have I allowed my children to miss Mass?
- Do I notice others missing Mass or working unnecessarily without lovingly reminding them to take time for God?
- Do I do work on the Lordís Day that could be handled later or that doesnít need to get done at all? This is supposed to be a day of protest against the servitude of work and the worship of money.
- Do I place extra burdens on other people on Sunday?
- Do I take for granted Jesusí true presence in the Eucharist, or do I disagree that the bread and wine actually become Jesus?
- During Mass, do I fail to reverence God by neglecting to genuflect or kneel? By wearing lewd clothing? By arriving late or leaving early without a holy reason? By speaking disrespectfully of or to others? By allowing myself to be easily distracted? By any other means?
- Am I transformed by Jesus when I receive Him in the Word and in the Eucharist, or do I leave Mass the same as I came in?
- Have I neglected my obligation to go to Confession at least once a year, but received Communion regardless?
- When have I failed to treat others as if they were Jesus Himself?
- I sanctify Sunday when I devote the time to my family and friends, and by using it for reflection and to cultivate my mind and spirit. When have I cheated my family, my friends and myself of this?
- Am I a workaholic, placing tasks above people, or a busy schedule above the need to relax? Am I unkind to myself by not balancing recreation with work?
- Do I choose to get involved in leisure activities that are violent, sinful, or unloving?
- Each day is a holy day, created by God for my benefit. When have I failed to make each moment a holy moment?
E-mail this page to a friend