Appendix: Two Approaches to Group Lectio Divina
Lectio Divina Shared in Community
Listening for the Gentle Touch of Christ the Word (The Literal Sense)
- One person reads aloud (twice) the passage of scripture, as others are attentive to some segment that is especially meaningful to them.
- Silence for 1-2 minutes. Each hears and silently repeats a word or phrase that attracts.
- Sharing aloud: [A word or phrase that has attracted each person]. A simple statement of one or a few words. No elaboration.
How Christ the Word speaks to ME (The Allegorical Sense)
- Second reading of same passage by another person.
- Silence for 2-3 minutes. Reflect on "Where does the content of this reading touch my life today?"
- Sharing aloud: Briefly: "I hear, I see..."
What Christ the Word Invites me to DO (The Moral Sense)
- Third reading by still another person.
- Silence for 2-3 minutes. Reflect on "I believe that God wants me to . . . . . . today/this week."
- Sharing aloud: at somewhat greater length the results of each one's reflection. [Be especially aware of what is shared by the person to your right.]
- After full sharing, pray for the person to your right.
Note: Anyone may "pass" at any time. If instead of sharing with the group you prefer to pray silently , simply state this aloud and conclude your silent prayer with Amen.
Return to Main Page