Saying the Rosary Step by Step
- While holding the Crucifix in the hand, make the Sign of the Cross.
In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.
- Recite the Apostles' Creed.
I believe in God, the Father Almighty, creator of heaven and earth. I believe in Jesus Christ, his only son, our Lord. He was conceived by the power of the Holy Spirit, was born of the Virgin Mary. He suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died and was buried. He went down to the dead. On the third day, he rose again. He ascended into heaven, and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead. I believe in the Holy Spirit, the Holy Catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and life everlasting. Amen.
- On the first large bead, recite the Our Father.
Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be Thy name;
Thy Kingdom come,
Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread;
and forgive us our trespasses
as we forgive those who trespass against us;
and lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
- On the three small beads recite the Hail Mary for an increase in the three theological virtues of faith, hope, and love...
Hail Mary, full of Grace,
...followed by praying the Glory Be.
The Lord is with thee,
Blessed art thou amongst women,
And blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God
Pray for us, sinners,
Now, and at the hour of our death. Amen
Glory be to the Father,
and to the Son,
and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning,
and ever shall be,
world without end.
- According to the day of the week, determine the set of Mysteries. On Mondays and Saturdays, you say the Joyful Mysteries; on Tuesdays and Fridays, you say the Sorrowful Mysteries; on Wednesdays and Sundays, you say the Glorious Mysteries; and on Thursdays, you say the Luminous Mysteries.
- For each decade identify the Mystery and meditate on the Mystery. For instance, if you are saying the Joyful Mysteries, declare that the first Joyful mystery is The Anunciation.
- Then recite on the larger bead the Our Father. (prayer above)
- On the ten small beads, recite the Hail Mary (prayer above). That is, say one Hail Mary for each bead, for a total of ten Hail Mary's.
- Recite the Glory Be (prayer above), followed by the Fatima prayer.
O my Jesus, forgive us our sins. Save us from the fires of Hell; lead all souls into Heaven, especially those in most need of Thy mercy. Amen.
- Repeat Steps 6-9 for all five decades. (For the second decade, declare the second mystery. For the third decade, declare the third mystery. And so on.)
- Pray the Hail Holy Queen.
Hail, Holy Queen, Mother of mercy. Hail our life, our sweetness, and our hope. To thee do we cry, poor banished children of Eve, to thee do we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this valley of tears. Turn then, oh most gracious advocate, thine eyes of mercy toward us; and after this our exile, show unto us the blessed fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. O clement, O loving, O sweet Virgin Mary.
P. Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God.
R. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.
Let us Pray: O God, whose only begotten Son, by His life, death, and resurrection, has purchased for us the rewards of eternal life. Grant, we beseech Thee that in meditating upon these mysteries of the most Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary, we may imitate what they contain and obtain what they promise, through the same Christ our Lord. Amen.
- Conclude by making the Sign of the Cross.